Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Are You Ready to Study in the States? (part 1)

Hey peeps! When I first started my college in LA, I had no idea what I was going to face! What I know is that I have a sister living with me so she should be able to take care of me and my life! But, since she had gone for good, she left me with all shit that I have to learnt the hard way. So, I decided to share all tips and tricks of studying in the States!

Today I am going to share 5 things that you have to deal with while studying in the States (things that no one told me when I started college in the US). If you can handle everything by your own, that means you are good to go.
  1. Legal Documents.
    • Make sure you have all documents ready! Your passport, I-20 from school, identity card and whatsoever stuffs that can prove that you are who you are and you have a legal status of studying in the States.
    • TIPS 1: Make sure you have all you documents in a separate folder to make it easier for you to make a checklist of your documents.
    • TIPS 2: If you really want to study in the States, you really have to apply and do everything on your own. Don't rely to any agents because they might not always tell you the truth! Trust me, even though it is a little overwhelming at first, the entire process does teach and prepare you for your own future. If you are still not sure and want to hire an agent, I suggest you also do additional research on your own so you know what you are getting into.
  2. The Immigration
    • The last time I visited US before I came as a student was when I was in middle school. But, things were so much different back then because all the immigration process were handled by the tour guide. So, travelers can just sit back and relax.
    • When I first came as a student, I was shocked because the moment I saw the immigration line, it reminded me of a village of people waiting to get a free food. If you can get out of the immigration in under one hour, you are one of the luckiest person on earth! The process usually takes 1.5 - 2.5 hours. Not to mention the fact that you are not allowed to make a phone call nor to use your phone for other purposes (aka. no listening to music). If you do, the officer will yell at you and the those swarm of people will look at you with their panda eyes. That's when you wish you can flush yourself under the toilet. 
    • TIPS : always bring a book with you when you travel to the US. Also, you can sit on your carry-on luggage while waiting for the line. 
    • Also, the first time I came as a student, there was a problem with my document because apparently my school officials mistyped the date that I was allowed to enter US. So, I was put in a detention room together with all the international students who also had the same problem with me. I was in that room for almost 2-3 hours (I forgot) and of course, I was not allowed to even hold my phone. If they caught you taking out your phone from your bag or pocket, they would confiscate your phone and would return it to you after they verify your status. And if they don't like you, they would move your passport to the very last person so you won't be able to leave the room until everybody else was gone. 
    • TIPS: Don't do anything that annoys the officers or otherwise you won't ever come out from that room. There's nothing wrong from being polite.
  3. Class enrollment / tuition fee
    • This is one of the most stressing part because not everyone gets the same enrollment date. Seniors and athletes usually enroll earlier than freshman students. 
    • TIPS : before your enrollment date, make sure you know what classes and professors you want to take and make the schedule out of it. Make sure that no classes clash with each other. Thus, by the time your enrollment window is open, you can put in the class code and it will take you no time to enroll the class. Make sure you enroll in at least 12 units of classes to be able to maintain your status in the US.
    • The worst thing is when you forgot to pay your tuition fee on the due date. They either charged you penalty fee OR they would drop you from all the classes that you have enrolled in. So, you have to re-enrolled classes that no one enrolls in.
    • TIPS : set a reminder to pay for your tuition.
  4. Debit card/ credit card
    • I wasn't really hard to open a bank account since you are already a student. However, if you want to apply for a credit card, you need to have a social security number (SSN). In order to have SSN, you have to work on campus. And, you usually can't work on campus  on your first semester. HEHEHE 
    • TIPS : work on campus as soon as you can in order to get the SSN. It will ease your life so much more! 
  5. Monthly rent
    • The rent expenses range depending on the city that you live in. The average rent expense as an LA students are, excluding the utility expenses :
      • studio is $1,800 - $2,500
      • one bedroom is $2,500-$3,300
      • two bedroom is $3,300- $4,500 
    • TIPS : You can always find roommate(s) so you can split the cost. 


Stay tune for the next blog post cause I will share some tips of finding the right roommate(s), affordable insurance company and avoid / waive your penalty fee for literally anything!
Also, if you have a friend or relative who is thinking of studying in the States, please share this blog post to them. It would mean a lot to them and me at the same time!

xoxo,
Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment