Thursday, November 21, 2019

How I Got an Externship at Ladurée

Getting an externship at Ladurée is never a plan A nor plan B for me. I never even think about it because Ladurée is not listed as one of the externship sites that I can apply to. Oh, if you guys are wondering what an externship is, it is basically an internship but with a shorter period of time, usually a couple weeks instead of months. Before I got into pastry school, I thought I would love making breads. So, my initial thought is going to Gjusta for my externship since it is very close to my house and I am freaking tired of driving already. But, towards the end of the course, of course bad news again, the career advisor told me that the only place that might hire an international student is Ladurée. I thought it was unfair since I only get to choose Ladurée or the career advisor would place me in other bakeries that needed people (which of course is out of my favourite lists of externship place). But, I know for sure I love macarons and Ladurée is so freaking famous for their them. So, I decided to just email Ladurée pastry chef and ask to schedule an interview with him. I legitly practiced my interview at home and hoped that things would go well because everyone in the kitchen knows that all chefs are like Gordon Ramsay.

The interview day came and I was super nervous. But, it turned out that the chef was a really nice person. He is a super tall French guy with a super strong French accent. When I say strong, it is legit strong. Sometimes, I don't know if he is speaking French or English to me. So, I just smile at him. But anyway, he said the externship is going to be unpaid and he asked me if i want to work with him or if i want to look for other bakeries. And since I am an international student under M-1 visa, I am not allowed to get paid anyway. He told me to go home, think about it and email him when I know the answer. But I told him I know the answer already and ended up taking his offer. This whole conversation thingy only takes 15 minutes. I am so so over the moon at that moment and I know he is too because why not take a free labor (?) HAHAHA jk2 but I really like him because he is reallllllllll nice.

Anyway, I really hope that I can get a lot of experience and learn a lot of new things throughout my externship. And I do hope that Ladurée is going to open a store in Indonesia one day.

Stay tuned for my next post!



xoxo,
veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment