Tuesday, September 3, 2024

How I Ended Up in Koh Samui

Before I went to Koh Samui, if you asked me why I decided to go, my answer would be "to accompany my mom and dad" instead of "detoxifying my own body". To be honest, I could sometimes be skeptical about things that can't be proven scientifically. Bring me to a medical physician, let's go. Bring me to traditional sinshe, good luck convincing me. Eventually after giving it some thought, I decided to tag along. 

The day I arrived in Tanya, I payed a respect by praying to Buddha but truthfully, I still believe that this program is only meant for people with health problem(s). I always feel that I've been taking good care of myself and I don't actually need to cleanse my body. I was counting hours and days until I check out from the resort. I kept on telling myself that I shouldn't be here drinking the herbal solution and oil, doing enema every morning and collecting my poo-poo by the end of the day. I kept telling myself that I'd rather go to the gym five times a week rather than coming here once a year. I was so hungry I wish I hadn't come here. Until I learnt the hard way that I'm not supposed to mumble nonsense in a very superstitious place.

I didn't want to sugarcoat but the first two days were hard. As someone who has never done an intermittent fasting, skipping two days without solid foods agitated me. Whenever it's the schedule for herbal solution, I always walked lazily to the kitchen. I wasn't doing it whole-heartedly. I wasn't going to lie but as the day went by, it became harder for me. On day 3, I almost shed a tear and gave up on my 5 days program. My body has never felt so distress. It's not physical pain but it made me want to cry so badly. Maybe it's my hormonal craving for solid foods that made the herbal tea and oil so unbearable and made me so upset. But then I ask myself : How could everybody do it except for me? It was then that I realized my mindset was the problem all this time. I turned to Buddha again, asking for strength and blessings to continue my program. Believe it or not, when I change the way I think, my body also listens to it. Instead of counting days until I left the place, I told myself that I should be grateful to be given a chance that thousands of people wish for : to be able to do the program while I am still perfectly healthy. And just like that, what was once a very bitter sip, becomes a very easy gulp. It was as easy as quenching my thirst. 

The rest of the journey was pretty smooth. If you ask me "Will you go again?", my answer is definitely yes, but I would do it differently : I would do it when I am ready to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment